Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Top Five Presentation Tips

I decided to use Google Presentation since no one else choose this free service. Google Presentation is part of the Google Apps suite. I am a Google Certified Teacher and have set up teachers in my district with Google accounts. Our district is looking at using Google Apps for Education as a solution for our online needs. Google Presentation is not as versatile as PowerPoint or Keynote (my preferred paid presentation software) but it does have a couple of features that are unique. Within Google presentation you can collaborate on a slide show. This feature has been valuable for teachers and students in my district. You can also take instant messages from presentees during your presentation. These messages pop up along side the presentation. I think this is the next step for presentations. This interactive component has already been done in a couple of presentations I attended. It enables questions to be asked in real time as well as information added to the presentation. Someone can participate in the presentation remotely. I included multimedia in my presentation tips. I think this should include interactivity in the future. People should be able to collaborate or participate in your presentation. This can be done with Google Presentation, Twitter, Poll Everywhere or Wiffiti.

http://tinyurl.com/cva7g6

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting presentation. After viewing your presentation, I looked into google pres., I wasn't aware that they had anything such thing. In your description you said that students can instant message during the presentation. My questions are 1) How is this effective when in a classroom in front of student? Or would this be more beneficial when doing an online presentation, if so would students really go online during 'non school hours'. 2) I don't see the option on google to do that. Could you direct me? 3) How did you create this post individually on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica, answers to your questions. 1) I think having a place next to your presentation for questions makes lessons more efficient. Teachers can stay on pace and answer questions when the time is right. Written questions are usually more thought out. It gives quiet students a chance to speak up. When I am explaining a problem I ask my students to hold questions till the end of my explanation, this is a digital way for the students to ask the question but I can answer when I am done. Students that are absent can follow online with the class presentation. Google presentation also allows students to collaborate on presentations. 2) If you view my presentation at the link above there is a view together link to join a group that is watching the presentation. 3) We are all authors on this blog, just click to create a post instead of commenting.

    ReplyDelete