Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thoughts on DimDim Session (and a rant)

I think we saw the potential of this technology, I don't think my middle schoolers would stick around through all of the trouble shooting. One thing our conversation and interaction have me thinking about is the influence technology will have on our traditional school day and our traditional school roles. Veronica spoke about giving extra help after school online for a student. What if a school set up an iChat account or AIM account for extra help. Teachers could be offered 1st period off if they man the online help desk for an hour after school.

What would teachers think of this?

What would students think of this?

What would the union think of this?

Technology opens so many doors I just hope we let ourselves step out of the old boxes.

This week Education Secretary Arne Duncan told a room of 400 students that we need a 6 day a week 11 month school year. So now instead of a 180 day broken school system you have a 250 day broken school system. Duncan didn't get booed by the students when he said this he got blank stares, the students realized that the head of US Education didn't GET IT. I was disappointed when Obama picked Duncan. Ed Tech funding was cut and its seems like merit pay, vouchers, and longer school years are being explored by the administration.

I don't think these platforms get to the root of the problem. It is not like I am running out of time in my classroom and my kids are short on material. I do not have the tools to teach effectively for the 21st century and my hands are tied by standards that may or may not apply to the 21st Century. We need to assess what we are teaching and how we are teaching, not that we have to teach harder. To me this is putting blame on the teachers and the students. "You guys are not teaching or learning well enough so do it longer." Duncan is not looking at the fact that we are being told to teach material (in an out dated manner) that doesn't fit into our present world so the students tune us out because they realize it is not relevant.

Rethink teacher and student roles, don't keep them in the same role for more days a week. Students should become more of a teacher and teachers should become more of a mentor (assessor). Learning should become more efficient in the digital age. More time should be spent on electives, internships and community service not math and english. Six day weeks and 11 month years is a punishment for teachers and students. Secretary Duncan could of said we are going to change what learning and teaching is instead he is choosing to pick up where NCLB left off.

3 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I agree. I think that the role of technology in our schools has altered the educational landscape. If our educational institutions are truly going to capture the power of technology in transforming our system, then traditional roles and pedagogy will change as well. This is a terrifying thought for many educators who are rooted in doing things their own way.

    Listening to everyone's comments last night, what I began to think about was how these technologies are seen as threatening by many colleagues who are resistant to change. I couldn't help but wonder if this is because these naysayers fear that their own professional deficiencies might be highlighted since much of this new technology encourages posting content, ideas and promotes collaboration; all ideas we discussed last night.

    Lastly, I was wondering how you posted your Jing tutorial to the web...I haven't been able to open my Jing video tutorial on screencast, but open fine on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you from my experience that when I first told my chair about instant messaging students for homework help, he was excited about it and he said "What a good way to interact with students, they talk online for hours anyway, this way you can focus them at home as well" where as my other colleagues would have a doubtful look on their face and say "Why, tell them to come during their free periods, your not 'required' to give up your free 'home time' as well". With responses like that I have to figure that their hearts are not in it for the students and are in it for themselves. Maybe they are thinking "What can I do to plan for my class the fastest way without doing any work". I believe as time continues (and I've got to hope) that once we've become the 'older generation of teachers' that the younger ones will continue with the mindset of always keeping technology in the loop. As far as the union goes (mine in particular) they would probably say "What you choose to do is your business but don't come crying to me when you have a problem". Im sure if we talked to administration we could come up with some kind of compromise; whether it be 1st period off, or a drop in a duty, or something etc...

    I have to go to an informational HS parent night on Monday for current 8th grade parents to ask different departments questions about the HS; in preparation for this meeting my chair and I met this week, he was throwing out ideas about how we should present the technology we use such as Cabri, Geometer Sketchpad, CBL/CBR, Jing, etc. I looked at him and said "isn't that selling something we're not" because truth of the matter is he knowwwwwwwsss that we should be implementing as much technology as possible and identifies that it is helpful for students' learning and it sure will 'WOW' the parents .... then why not move forward and have the entire department get involved in something like this (truth be told I am the only one in my department that does although my chair is definitely trying to get more involved in this). I know it is not realistic for all teachers to change their whole style around but I am sure that there can be one or two activities that they can incorporate the use of technology into. Or at least departments/admin. can implement some type of tech. training/exploring on a conference day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before we jump to criticize those who have not yet adopted the 21st Century skills meme, consider the level of tech competency of the average teacher. I believe that in order to have a lasting impact and to realize success, our teachers need to learn how to leverage these skills in their own productivity and understand how powerful these tools are in transforming their own teaching. The real crisis in education is in effective professional development. Passing sweeping legislation and imposing technology standards in schools is a recipe for disaster.

    Technology integration must be transparent. It must be ubiquitous. Consider yourselves vanguards of 21st Century teaching practice. Adapt your teaching models to incorporate these skills. Walk the talk. Prove the naysayers wrong.

    As the adage goes: If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

    For a little background info on Secretary of Education Arne Duncan consider this article:
    http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/23_03/arne233.shtml

    ReplyDelete