Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Light at the End of the Tunnel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16169456@N06/2478121923/

Please read the following before submitting your final research papers:

Transparency=Leadership
Transparency and Open Government
Visualizing Open/Networked Teaching

Part 1:
Your final research paper is due Wednesday May 13th. Please submit your paper via Google Docs. Once your paper is completed as a Google Doc, publish it as a web page. (Use this screencast if you have any questions regarding these steps.) Then Create a NEW post on this class blog and briefly summarize your research. Include the link to your published research paper. Include your first name_last name (Rob_Lyons), edtech, school2.0, Iona, and Lyons as labels for your post.

Part 2: What does transparency mean to you? Is transparency in education an asset or a liability? Do you consider yourself "Well Googled"?

2 comments:

  1. Those are pretty interesting questions. Transparency I believe means that you can be 'seen' by the online community. I have had many students "google" me and see me on facebook and in an article from my undergraduate years but besides that there isn't much. I started "googling" some of my colleagues and found too that they were not as transparent as well. There was one colleage that was. She is a physics teacher in my school that is an amputee and runs many marathons as well as goes to many physics conferences and develops models of different events and the calculations. Any one who googles her, will believe she is an extraordinary woman with high values and a drive to succeed. This is going to motivate me to be a bit more transparent. There are always the fears of someone not liking what you say or your methods so I guess it is the fear that drives us a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, I think transparency means being open and creative in the Internet world. It means contributing and being accountable for your online path. I’ve “googled” myself before and my results have been nothing major; a page from Dominican College, my name in the paper from DC graduation, some facebook pages, and my website for Suffern Middle School. When I recently “googled” myself again, I saw my online presentation from this class on slideshare. I clicked the link, for no real rhyme or reason, and noticed someone tagged it as their favorite. It’s interesting to me because when searching the Internet we always look at everyone else’s stuff, but now I looked and said, “Wow, someone can now look at my stuff.” It’s pretty cool to see your stuff out there and it’s something that I want to continue to contribute to. Why not become more transparent and contribute more to our online world? If I can look at other people’s work and opinions, people should have the opportunity to look at mine as well.

    ReplyDelete